Malnutrition is a common cause of loss of vitality and poor health outcomes in older people.
Reduced dietary intake of essential nutrients and calories often occurs as a result of a combination of conditions and factors that can make food preparation and eating difficult and unappealing for older adults. Getting to the bottom of why someone may be developing nutrient and calorie deficits and implementing strategies to improve diet and quality of life can take time and expertise.
A dietitian can assist in the management of at-risk older people living in the community and residential aged care settings by:
1. Screening to ascertain the BMI and nutritional intake of people experiencing unwanted weight loss.- Comprehensive assessments to determine the causes of malnutrition.
2. Implementing “Food First” strategies like eating small but frequent, high energy, high protein snacks and meals.
3. Implementing nutrition support for malnourished people who are unable to maintain body weight by food intake alone.
4. Developing practical and appropriate meal plans and schedules to improve daily nutritional intake.
5. Supporting people in the community to access meal and food services that meet their individual tastes, dietary needs, and abilities.
6. Improve the quality of life of ageing clients by increasing the energy they have available to participate in social and community activities.
Diet and food preferences are personal and often sensitive matters, dieticians work with individuals to create the best personalized and enjoyable solutions for people struggling to maintain adequate nutrient intake.
Empower’s dietetic services is available across all of our service channels, residential aged care, home care and NDIS. Please click on the relevant link below to learn more.
We Change Lives
Empower Healthcare is a national allied-health service provider and partner with Home Care package providers, NDIS plan managers & Aged Care organisations to deliver life changing allied health services. We offer a full-service platform from physiotherapy, occupational therapy, podiatry, dietetics to osteopathy, massage therapy and most recently, home nursing services and pride ourselves in the delivery of high-quality therapy solutions, value packed services and responsive ethos.
It is a very exciting time with Empower Healthcare building on the success of its Victorian operation and now expanding nationally into NSW & WA. With a growing team of 100+ clinicians, we provide over 1,500 treatments every day and service more than 100 healthcare organisations. Building on this strong foundation, we are well positioned and committed to delivering exceptional care.
Our therapists genuinely care about the people we work with and take the time to build strong relationships that holistically improve social, physical and mental wellbeing to live happier and healthier lives.
How To Get Clients Started With Our Home Care & NDIS Services
Simply click on the image below for our referral form.